Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Knitting Nuts 1st Meet and Knit!


The Knitting Nuts

our first meet up at Dilworth Coffee House at Hoods Cross Roads
which is at the corner of Idlewild Road and Matthews Mint Hill Road.




I had been wanting to start a knit group that could meet in or close to Mint Hill. A few friends of mine at church had wanted to learn to knit so I thought this would be a perfect time to set up a get together where we could share our joy in knitting, crochet, etc... So hence the start...

We had a great time together and made new friends. Sandy (aka: Shandeh) was there followed by Rose (aka: CraftChick), Gail, Aura and Michelle (aka: wewantmore) and
of course me...Connie (aka: conicuts).

ps... aka links only work for those in Ravelry, name links are those with blogs...

Aura had knitted me this cute little acorn magnet which was felted and she had packaged it in a clear bag with a card and bow which she had stamped herself! There was a little tag that read "who is nuts about knitting" which is appropriately named as she and I are crazy over knitting.

Thank you Aura for my sweet gift!

I had been trying to think of a name for our group and that little gift was like a light bulb blinked over my head! The Knitting Nuts! So, that's what we will call our group filled with KnitNuts who are just those that are nuts over knitting!

Everyone was showing off some of their FO's. All of which are so gorgeous. Rose had her awesome Barnacle Bill and 2 of the cutest little buddy bags. Aura had her modular scarf, baby sweater and cute baby hat which Samantha modeled! Gail brought her first ever scarf and her magic scarf. Sandy had her fingerless gloves and was wearing a pair of knitted socks and I brought my Vortex dishcloth and baby hat.

Sandy was knitting on her shawl and Michelle was well into knitting a Booga bag. I had just taught Gail how to knit using a loom and knitting board so she got started on another scarf on the scarf board and we also got her started on another dishcloth using the crochenit method. She has really learned alot over the last few weeks and say's that it is so therapeutic to knit and it helps to keep her mind off of her knee pain. Aura and I were knitting another baby hat for charity and Rose was starting to CO for a project and put that off until I can meet her to let her borrow one of my 16" circular's to try knitting that project in the round instead of flat knitting in stockinette and then having to seam.

Rose and Aura were helping me with my purling continental method and Rose gave me a tip as how to hold my working yarn which really helped so that now my tension is not lost when purling continental. Thanks Rose! Sandy had brought a stack of great knitting magazines to share.

Michelle had in tow her beautiful baby girl, Samantha who was just precious. It's been so long since my baby girl was that small and it reminded me of how fast time flies. The meeting time of 2 hrs from 2-4 pm also flew and before you knew it we were all headed back home with memories of time well spent with friends that are just "nuts over knitting".

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Connie - You covered everything and did not miss any details. Can't believe how the felted acorn gave you an idea of what to name this group. Glad you liked it :-)LOL - It was a delight to meet everyone and having baby Michelle was heart warming. She's beautiful and what an honor that she modeled my cap. Hey guess what I'm on the Ravelry waiting list. Also tried to do the dread locks and had trouble :-( --- I need your help again. Oh well, next time. I was trying to do a fringe on the modular scarf. Oh check my blog I added the video with the tunisian crochet demo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Connie - I meant the little tag to say: For Connie who is nuts about knitting not who are nuts about knitting. Oops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogversary! Hope to see you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! If you want me to get back to you, remember to please leave me your email address.