Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2009

What is a Nostepinne?

I clicked through a link on Ravelry and found this Etsy store that sells handmade Nostepinne's.

I have never heard of these and thought they would be a great tool for someone who may not have room for a swift and ball winder and they are inexpensive and portable to boot. In fact you could even use a thick dowel. My first thought was the wooden dowel that holds my paper towels.

Anyway, I found out via the etsy store that the word Nostepined is Norwegian for "nest stick" as the ball formed looks like a birds nest. This little tool forms a perfect yarn "cake" and even though I have a wonderful swift and ball winder I can see myself trying this while sitting in my favorite knitting chair and wanting to fix that skein of yarn that is collapsing on itself and I don't want to get up, take it to my craft room and put up my swift just to wind it.

I looked at several videos on youtube and thought this one was the best. I love the idea that she had for the rubber-band at the top too! So, I'm off to try this on my paper towel dowel!

Just a note: I bought my wooden swift from this ebay seller and I've been very pleased with it. It is easy to use, works wonderfully, folds to store in a small space and is very inexpensive! I spent a little more for my ball winder, but it will last for years to come!

1 comment:

  1. I love it Connie - You know I don't have a swift....My nice cakes have come from you or when I have purchased yarn from the Yarn Cottage. I should consider buying one. So you think just a wooden rod would work? Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! If you want me to get back to you, remember to please leave me your email address.